Tuesday, 21 February 2017

2 Year Old Dies After Swallowing A Battery From A Toy



So many domestic accidents happen in the house and as parents you need to be very cautious and pay attention to even the smallest of details.

I came across a story of a two-year-old girl in Oklahoma who died after swallowing a battery smaller than the size of a coin.

The parents did not even know when she swallowed it because according to Brianna Florer's grandfather, she was not feeling well for some days and was exhibiting a fever. 

However, her parents finally called an ambulance when she started throwing up blood and turned blue. Brianna was rushed to a hospital in Tulsa where she immediately went into surgery.


She was operated on for 2 hours but the doctors couldn't stop the bleeding and an x-ray revealed she had swallowed a small button battery which had eaten through her carotid artery by way of her esophagus.


According to experts, some children are lucky and the battery goes through their system without any harm and is passed out in faeces but fatal cases occur when the battery gets stuck and secretes an alkaline substance. 

Please note that these button batteries as they are called are usually used in children's toys, calculators, remote controls and wristwatches.

PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

No comments:

Post a comment

Designed by Jide Ogunsanya.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...